Thursday, May 21, 2009

Review - How Tele-Convertor (TC) Affect IQ of MACRO pictures

I have tested this while I was SONY Alpha700 user but I didn't do any sharing because I do not have comparative but now is different where I can produce magnification produce by standard Macro len with CANON MPE-65 (which provide 1-5 times life size).

I am not here to review the lenses Image Quality (IQ) or Tele-convertor (TC) but just want to share how TC affect IQ which may help those want to do >1:1 macro without going for Extension tube (ET), close-up filter & Canon MPE-65 (all of these have limitations). e.g.

1. Extension tube - losing infinity focus when big bug found e.g. butterfly. ET have to be remove so to snap the Butterfly from far & full frame
2. Close-up filter - could affect IQ
3. Canon MPE-65 - expensive and only for CANON mount

###################################################################################

here are the testing results
All tests using below
- all pictures shooting using Aperture priority
- shoot in JPEG no RAW-JPG conversion
- @1x F16, @1.4x F13 & @2x F11
- focus on left eye
- no Post processing, all straight from camera

I. shoot with MPE-65, SIGMA150 + 1.4xTC & SIGMA150 + 2xTC at 1x/1 time life size
- size have been resize 50% @long size due to flickr do not allow 20MB single file upload


compare 1x-1


II. 100% crop for "MPE-65, SIGMA150 + 1.4xTC & SIGMA150 + 2xTC at 1x/1 time life size"
- no resize

compare 1x 100%crop

III. shoot with MPE-65, SIGMA150 + 1.4xTC & SIGMA150 + 2xTC at 1.4x/1.4 times life size
- size have been resize 50% @long size due to flickr do not allow 20MB single file upload

compare 1.4x-1

IV. 100% crop for "MPE-65, SIGMA150 + 1.4xTC & SIGMA150 + 2xTC at 1.4x/1.4 times life size"
- no resize

compare 1.4x 100%crop

V. shoot with MPE-65 & SIGMA150 + 2xTC at 2x/2 times life size
- size have been resize 50% @long size due to flickr do not allow 20MB single file upload

compare 2x-1

VI. 100% crop for "MPE-65 & SIGMA150 + 2xTC at 2x/2 times life size"
compare 2x 100%crop

###################################################################################

Here are my view
General
1. different TC affect color output as coating different
2. exposures will be different even aperture priority use with same exposure set

IQ - details of the object
1. it is expected where both 1.4x & 2x would lost details in all aspect (1x, 1.4x & 2x)
2. look at full size compare, pictures using 2x TC is softest compare to both MPE-65 & 1.4xTC . But details different is small enough to notice except 100% crop which show there is IQ drop but it will depend personal acceptable level.

so what do you see and think ? is it a good option ?

10 comments:

lightseeker said...

Great tests... and great output ...nothing can match the monster MPE
....This is a question I ask myself ..and never get an answer ...Is this small change matter for making a good picture.....( I am not being rude or something ..jus thought of knowing your view on this.....)

thanks HAve a great day
Thanks for sharing these results...
cheers

liewwk said...

Yeshwanth,
it is very much depend personal acceptable level ...this is something like ppl say what lenses are sharper than the other len... but if we do not have comparison + we satisfy what we have...
then this minor different could be acceptable ...

for me, in case I need far reach and I am accept the 2x result so I will use it for sure rather than I cannot reach it ..

liewwk

Tan Yong Hui said...

personally, i think the image sharpness difference is not too obvious, but the color change is really obvious.

Thanks make me think again should i go for ori lens which come with big price or 3rd party lens with reasonable price.

liewwk said...

NIX... yea .. but for these I shoot with JPEG.. normally I shoot in RAW then no problem on the temperature .. (RAW will ignore those setting u have and we have to adjust based on our preference)

150mm SIGMA -2k++
180L CANON -4k++

we have to judge and it should have minimum IQ different :D

Amino @ Lordmint said...

Sigma lenses have been known to produce warmer colors. A little tweak on the WB should fix it. The lenses are generally cheaper than Ls, so there will be some 'extra' work required on it. :)

liewwk said...

LM, as i mentioned I shooted these jpeg so i do not did any PP.
but for other shoot ting all my shooting are using raw which it does not matter. it is just a step to change the correct WB. which I think Ls do need somme tweak as bodt metering may not always correct

Unknown said...

Brilliant work, liewwk!! I think we should make this a good link for those who want to know the diff of these TC!! :D

These tests tell a thousand words..
is true tat things' quality are so much depend on personal acceptable level..

for me, the details really have not much different.. but the color is obvious..

Thanks for sharing..

liewwk said...

Ze Xuang,
for Colors variant .. I normally shoot in Raw so the color can easily adjust back ...

what I want to test here are the details different

Aaron Then said...

Im Aaron, Im impressed with your testing. I'm trying to shoot macro. i bought the raynox M-250 attached on my canon 85mm 1.8. i tried to shoot but all photos have none like what u had posted in shutterasia. Sifu please help me. :) can i use tc on my 85mm? YL got selling canon 100mm f2.8 macro USM for RM1790 but i have no budget. My budget only below RM600.

liewwk said...

Aaron,
I think may you need to get lighting and shooting method right ..(refer my Jan 2009 post on how I shoot macro)...

85 + raynox250 should give you 1.1.3-1.6 which should be a good start ... think better option with ur budget could be longer tele with raynox ..

anything pls ping me :D

liewwk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...