I think this is my 1st share on "how I shoot landscape", I am still far to learn at landscape photography. for me it is real challenge compare to what I did before ..... while you shoot landscape you need
1. luck - weather not control by us
- you have right weather do not mean you at right place
- need to understand the light .. what's the best time for this angle ... sunset , sunrise ... magic hour etc ... need to know what light you need but then it is very much depend your' luck... even though sometime weather forecast do help
2. need more understanding of yours' camera
- how to change WB (which I seldom do this previously)
- what is hyperfocal distance of each focal length
- need good skill to control yours' tripod. the light could be just appear for seconds ...
- exposures bracketing (need for exposure masking, HDR ....)
- calculation of exposure under bulb mode
overall we need to understand our equipment especially our camera ... so read manual, internet guidance .... before go out else you may miss the great view ....
- one of the most challenge ... nowadays, think many of us try to no shoot the main object directly but with add on some blocking object thought it is composition then we are wrong .... it is just call foreground inside the frame but not composition
- this sound very simple ... some thing make viewer feel comfortable ... simple ???? but it is not
- it should have some line (U, L, J, triangle ....) leading from sky to object to the foreground, symmetry, rule 2/3, keep in simple ... you may come with it , learn it from forum, pictures sharing web site , books ......(but prefer to learn from few peoples or forum instead one ... )
- do not fully addict to one style while learning, try learn all methods or understand then choose yours' style later after build all the foundation. e.g. shoot basic landscape before learn exposures masking then HDR ... then use filters ....
- need to study what time the sunrise and sunset
- tide table
- moon table especially for nightscape
- need minimum hiking, jungle trekking to get to the beautiful places
6. choose right equipments
- tripod .... choose those withstand salt water, mug ...weight will kill while have hiking
- lenses .... need full focal length else you may miss out what you want. weather seal is recommended
- camera .... good dynamics range, weather seal is highly recommended.. weight
- beg .... multiple begs require for different location, weight of the beg
- filters .... need different filters for different effect or capture. CPL, ND, GND ....
- transport .... eventually you may need 4WD to access some beautiful places
7. post processing
- it really help to improve the final output
- not doing the super impose
- clone dusts, increase contrast, increase saturation, masking for exposures ... noise reduce are basic requirements
- shoot raw in case WB need to be change so it can be done easily
- color cast remove easier by using RAW too
- calibrate monitor
so all I learn now ... may keep update while I find something I need to add on .. and will discuss each in details slowly in future ...