Tuesday, August 3, 2010

How I shoot MACRO - Lighting result for SIGMA 150mm macro (2010 Aug)

As agree, I am sharing result of the new flash lighting for SIGMA150 Macro len as discuss in 2010 Aug - SIGMA150 lighting.

The intention is not compare lighting with my MP-E65 lighting setup but design a acceptable lighting setup for long MACRO lenses use (I use SIGMA150 F2.8 + 1.4x TC & 36mm ET).















more details for above setup can view @ 2010 Aug - SIGMA150 Lighting 1

for this setup 36mm ET + 1.4x TC + SIGMA150 @1:1 give magnifcation ~2:1 as shown below

... what magnification I have ...


....... so the test result
0. with only my Concave Diffuser (the flash head cone without the light Tent)



F9, 1/160, ISO100









i. a full body shot which not possible for MP-E65 and the Background color (F8, 1/160, ISO100)
... full body shot ...

ii. with only ET @full magnification
.... only ET ...

iii.plus 1.4TC
... at ~2:1 ...

iv. full magnification front view
... @2:1 , front shot ...

*** if like to view larger view 2500pix @ longer side, there is link after click the picture above

*** to show the real results, picture only raw-->jpeg with conditions
i. no sharpen
ii. no light/exposure related change
iii. the side view with 2 picture stacked (eye & body)
iv. no dodge and burn
v. no highlight and shadows change
vi. non crop
vii. all handheld shot



Overall, I am pretty happy with the results and can be improve
1. the light is not really harsh but need to fine tune with the setting
    - we can;t just use what we have with MP-E65 which have different focal length
2. background, it is so easy to get the Background color instead the MP-E65
3. it is so easy to approach the bug which almost not possible with MP-E65 or shorter len

... so easy to shoot this ...

4. something I need to work on is the highlight on the eye still strong
5. need reflective beetle to test further

4 comments:

Joanna Durczok said...

The light is great as well as the photos. Great equipment:)

Leslie said...

Great pictures as always, and lighting is very nice.

Tommorrow I get a Sigma EM-140 DG EO-ETTL Macro Flash to use with my 105mm Sigma macro lens. I hope it will improve my pictures as we can't always depend on the weather where I live (London). It will allow me to shoot with greater depth of field too. I will always take inspiration from your images. Thanks, Les.

liewwk said...

thanks Joanna...

Les, ring flash is another tricky one .. u may stil need some DIY

Anonymous said...

"Microscopic Photography"! LOL
This is great stuff...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...